Hospital and clinical facilities use different kinds of supplies to help them in patient diagnosis and treatment. There are different kinds of doctor supplies that they need in order to become a full facility that can cater to a number of patients. Usually, prior to opening their clinics, suppliers are sending an offer of their medical products with indicated prices. But take note that it’s important to buy only from trusted dental suppliers.
Distinguishing Doctor Supplies
The things that are being used in a clinical setup can be categorized into three, medical supplies, medical equipment, and medical products. Let us find out what sets these things apart from each other and what makes them an important part of doctor supplies.
- Medical supplies. Medical supplies often come with expiration dates and are considered disposables in stock. These are mostly composed of things that are used regularly to attend to a patient. Some of the examples of a medical supply include the following:
Casting materials (casting tape, undercast padding)
Anesthesia, epidural kits
Gloves, masks, gowns, protective gears, scrubs
Test tube, test bottle, storage bottle,
Alcohol pads, lubricating jelly
Dressing aids, underpads
Surgical instruments and many more
- Medical equipment. Medical equipment refers to the instruments that are used to diagnose and assist a patient to function despite injuries and physical limitations. Unlike medical supplies, medical equipment is used for long-term purposes and are durable. These can come as an appliance, machine, or apparatus. These could include the following:
Laboratory machines, CT scanner, Xray machine
Surgical tables, surgical lights
Oxygen tanks, life support system
Patient monitoring machine
Operating tools of a surgeon
Incubator, screening machines
- Medical products. Medical products are described as products that are made to treat specific illnesses and disorders. According to the medical dictionary, these are the things that are prescribed to patients that can be bought in a drug store. Products in medical terms are anything that contains a drug substance that is intended to treat an illness or disease.
Insight to A Doctors Basic Needs
When you visit a doctor, you will notice some of the few things in the office that are placed on his or her table. These things are the most commonly used tools that they need to provide service and care in case of emergency. Listed below are the most common essentials that you will see in a clinical office:
- Reflex hammer. This is a small tool used mostly by a physician to check tendon reflexes.
- Stethoscope. This tool is used to listen to the sounds mainly of the heart and lungs.
- Thermometer. A doctor is always in need of a thermometer. This tool is used to monitor the patient’s body temperature.
- Oximeter. An oximeter is a device used to evaluate the blood oxygen levels.
- Glucometer. A small and portable equipment with the purpose of measuring the amount of glucose in the blood.
- Sanitary wipes, alcohol, lubricating jelly, mask, and gloves.
- Tounge spatula. Usually used by a doctor in examining the tongue and mouth.
Certifying Supplies and Equipment
A supply, tool, or machine need to undergo several tests and examinations to pass the certification. Suppliers are not allowed to sell and distribute medical supplies, machine, and tools that are not FDA approved.
To get a certification, the tools, supplies, and devices need to meet international regulatory standards which are drafted to validate the purpose, safety, and quality of a specific device or tool.
The device will be tested multiple times before it can reach the next process. Its classification will be identified prior to the strict approval procedure.
If you are a nurse or a practitioner working for a health company, always make sure to buy from an accredited store.